Troy “Trey” S. Martin, III PARTNER
Troy “Trey” S. Martin, III is a founding partner of Martin Cukjati & Tom, LLP. He has practiced law in Texas for over 30 years, litigating complex civil litigation matters. Trey is licensed to practice in all state courts in Texas. He is also admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Western and Southern Districts of Texas, as well as the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Trey enjoys representing individual clients, including small to medium sized businesses. He finds himself often representing the underdog in complicated situations, working on a contingency fee basis when the clients cannot afford upfront litigation costs. He prides himself on finding creative and cost-effective ways to help those who need it, especially when something devastating has happened in their lives. He is an aggressive but fair lawyer who looks after his clients’ interests and works hard to bring their matters to a swift and positive resolution.
Trey’s practice areas include Commercial Litigation, Business Law, Wrongful Death, Serious Personal Injuries, Construction Accidents, Class Action litigation, Agriculture Law, and Consumer Claims. Trey represents a variety of medium to small businesses on a regular basis, including clients in the rodeo business, ranching, farming, wildlife, construction, and oil & gas.
He was born in San Antonio, grew up in South Texas, and graduated from Devine High School in 1981. Trey enjoyed high school sports, rodeo, and hunting while growing up in South Texas. While obtaining two degrees in Animal Science and Agribusiness, he worked year round on the Pollard Ranch, which is located in between Fort Davis and Alpine. Trey grew up competing in rodeos. He quit competing to go to college and focus on his legal career, but returned after a 17-year break. Trey returned to the sport not only as a competitor, but as a business owner of Tejas Rodeo Co. Because Trey is involved in multiple businesses of his own, he understands the challenges small to medium size businesses face daily.
Trey graduated from Sul Ross State University with a Bachelor of Science in Animal Science and Agribusiness in 1984. He earned his Master of Business Administration in Agribusiness from Sul Ross State University in 1986. Trey earned his law degree from St. Mary’s University School of Law, with honors, in 1989. During law school, he was selected for inclusion in the John Harlan Honor Society, served as the St. Mary’s Law Journal Articles/Symposium Editor, and graduated in the top five percent of his class.
Trey is a member of several legal industry professional associations, including the State Bar of Texas, San Antonio Bar Association, and Texas Bar Foundation. Trey is married to Terri Martin. Trey and Terri have one daughter together (Madison) and Trey (Terri’s bonus kids) has three other daughters (Alexis, Shelby, and Cassandra) from a previous marriage and one granddaughter (Natalie). Lexy, Shelby, and Cassie all are now grown and college graduates, while Madi is still with Trey and Terri and is a competitive barrel racer.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, Juris Doctorate, with honors, 1989
- Top 5% of class
- John Harlan Honor Society
- Mary’s Law Journal, Articles/Symposium Editor
- Sul Ross State University, Master of Business Administration in Agribusiness, 1985
- Sul Ross State University, Bachelor of Science in Animal Science and Agribusiness, 1984
Bar and Court Admissions
- Texas, 1989
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Bar of Texas
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation
- San Antonio’s Best Lawyers List, Scene in SA Magazine, 2020
- “Landlord Tenant – Implied Warranty of Suitability – Landlord Impliedly Warrants that Commercial Premises Suited for Intended Use.” 20 St. Mary’s L.J. 213 (1988).
- “Limitation of Liability of Limited Partners While Affording Control of Partnership Affairs to Limited Partners,” 22 St. Mary’s L.J. 5 (1990).
- Tejas Rodeo Company, Owner
- Donates venue for charitable events
- San Antonio Legal Fund, Pro Bono Lawyer handling divorces